Snapchat has 280 million daily active users worldwide. On average a Snapchat user in the United States spends 26 minutes per day on the platform in 2021. (Source – Statista).
What is Snapchat?
Snapchat is one of the most popular social networking platforms to attract a massive follower base from across the globe. The platform has come a long way since its launch in 2011, and it continues to amaze fans by constantly adding new features to its platform.
The Snapchat platform recently introduced a new feature allowing users to add music to their photos and videos. Snapchat is also introduced users to switch their standard profile to Public in order to compete with Tik Tok.
What is a Public Profile on Snapchat?
A Public Profile on Snapchat is similar to TikTok, which allows users to showcase their talent and share photos, videos, or any other content with a larger audience on the platform. By creating a Public Profile on Snapchat, you will also be able to connect with your audience and get discovered in the platform to reach wider audience.
How to get a Public Profile on Snapchat?
Public profiles on Snapchat aren’t exactly new, but they were previously limited to verified creators like celebrities, digital stars, brands, and the creators of Snapchat Lenses and other users could consume all kinds of content on Snapchat. Now, anyone can have a public profile and try to build an audience on Snapchat.
Step #1 Creating Public profile on Snapchat
- Open Snapchat and click on your profile icon in the top left corner of your home screen.
- You should see a new option called ‘Add to Snap Map’ under ‘Stories’ or the ‘Spotlight & Snap Map’ section depending on your device and version of the app. Tap on the ‘3-dot’ icon beside this option.
- Now click on Create Public Profile.
- Snapchat will now introduce you to all the new features offered by a Tier 1 Public Profile. Click on Continue button at the bottom of your screen to proceed to the next step.
- Click on Get Started button at the bottom.
- Snapchat will now show you a disclaimer about creating a Public Profile for one last time. Click on Create to move to further.
- You will be directed back to the Settings page and there you could see a new section called ‘Public Profiles’ with a new ‘My Public Profile’ under it. Click on it to get started.
- Click on Edit Profile to edit all the details included in your public profile.
Well done! You have created a new Public Profile on Snapchat!
Why do you need to create a public profile on Snapchat?
If you are interested in creating and sharing content in the hopes of growing an audience to become famous, then a public Creator Profile is exactly what you are looking for. The public profile will offer creators advanced analytics to see what type of content performs best with their audience.
You can also create your bio section with a profile photo, text description, location, email address, and a place to link URL to direct your audience to your website/youtube/Instagram and etc.., You will get access to a Highlights tab where you can highlight your photos and videos to give your audience a glimpse of your content and a Lenses tab (where you can show everything you have published within Snapchat’s Lens Studio).
Once you have a Creator profile on Snapchat, you will also have the ability to allow other users on the platform to manage your Public Profile by assigning special roles.
Snapchat says it is rolling out public profiles to its entire user base, but not everyone will get the update at the same time. While everyone will get a profile added to their account, only certain people will get the Creator Profile that comes with all of the above features.
What are the benefits of creating a Public profile on Snapchat?
There are different types of public profiles on Snapchats, essentially used to segregate between different types of creators. Most of these profiles have an approval process that requires you to submit applications to the snapchat, but creating the basic public profile is completely free for every user and it is a new addition for all Snapchat users.
Let’s check out the benefits below.
- Exposure to content added to Snap Map and Public Stories
- Subscribe button for your audience
- Highlight tab
- Your name will be shown on all Snaps posted publicly
- Your Lenses will also be made public including your creations as well as your favourites